Wednesday, December 1, 2010

LAUGH, THINK AND CRY

What’s up Guys,

I saw something on TV today I had to share with you, now this was not my first time seeing this and it may not be yours either.  But, it has been years since I have seen it in full and this time around it really hit me.

What I am talking about is the Jimmy V speech at the 1993 Espy awards where he received the Arthur Ash Courage and Humanitarian Award, this is where he announced the formation of the Jimmy V Foundation which I am sure we have all heard about.

There is no doubt that the most popular quote out of this speech is "Don't Give Up... DON'T EVER GIVE UP".  But what stuck with me this time is when he mentioned the 3 things we should all do every day which are Laugh, Think and Cry.

After watching this I realized that I did all three during the speech, I did not burst out in tears but I came as close as I have in a long time.  That is a very powerful thing to be able to do to someone.

Jimmy died within 2 months after this speech, but besides the assistance he needed to get up and down the stairs you would not be able to tell how sick he was.  Not only were his words powerful to me but his action was even more powerful. 

He was on a whole other level with what he was trying to accomplish and the way he looked at life.  He knew he did not have much time left but nothing stopped his determination and passion.  He will live on forever because of this, and that is highly motivational. 

I am not saying I want to live on forever but, I want to make a positive impact where ever I can.

I do not know what it is about speeches and quotes that mean so much more to me now than in the past.  Is it because I am a Father now, is it because I am getting wiser with age or maybe because of the new path I am taking in life.  Whatever the reason I am glad that Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer ended when it did and I had a chance to revisit this amazing speech.

I knew as soon as I finished watching it I had to share it with you.  Whether you have seen this or not set aside the 11 minutes it will take to watch this video.  I am guarantee it will not be a waste of your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment